Today was uber-productive. (So productive, that my geek side is shining through and I am using words like “uber.”)
First things first: I moved to a new hostel. The other one was decent; however, I found out quickly that I could not handle living in the same room as five(!) other people. Strangers. And they were strange, too. I am pretty sure one of the girls lived there and cleaned the hostel so she could have free rent. The other people all seemed to be friends with her. (One other girl (who had a cough. . . all night) was also in the room. And she was good friends with Nick, a guy who was there. Nick? Rick? Alan? I don’t know. It was some generic thing like that. Anyway, I woke up to their (rather intense) make-out session.) So I checked out of there and moved about a block away to a new hostel where I have my own room. MUCH better.
I walked downtown and found Sydney City Center. (For those who studied abroad: think Oxford City Center with malls and a food court. All of it on steroids.) (For those who didn’t study abroad: go to Oxford, find city center, then imagine it on steroids.)
I bought some sunglasses (I left mine on a different continent.) from a funny little Asian market. Then I ate at a Nando’s (Something I hadn’t done since Oxford). It is Portuguese, I think. But in all reality, I just ate a chicken wrap. It was delicious. So I hiked back to the hostel. Then I took a walk towards the Sydney Opera House.
I ended up on the wrong side of a harbor. Which meant that I had a great view of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. It also meant I couldn’t visit the box office and see if I could watch any performances. So I made it my mission to get to the Opera House. It took me about an hour and a half, but I finally figured it out. And I need to remember how I did it because I am going back tomorrow to watch a show! It is called “Spontaneous Broadway” and the performers improvise a musical based on song title suggestions from the audience. It is in one of the smaller playhouses, but it is still pretty cool. They are also staging “Aida” on the big Opera stage. Too bad they are all sold out. BUT the woman at the box office said that they have a line for standing room. Apparently, it starts early in the morning, around 9AM. I am seriously considering going and standing in line all day to see it. That might be one of the things that is worth it.
Hmm. . . what else? I only get one hour of free Wifi per day at the new hostel (at the old place I had to pay, so this is an improvement.) And I found a café that supposedly has free WiFi. Also, McDonald’s has free WiFi at all the locations here, as long as you are a customer. I assume I will be buying something there, despite the fact that many people won’t be able to believe that I ate at McDonald’s while I was in Australia.
Tomorrow: Opera House Performance! We'll see what else. The zoo is pretty expensive, but looks cool. (They have an exhibit where you can hold koalas. So that's probably going to happen. Maybe not tomorrow, but sometime.)
Sorry there's no pictures on here. My internet can't handle the uploads at the moment.
0 comments:
Post a Comment