The opera was… very good. Mostly thanks to the other people who had standing room tickets. I met two Californians and two Kiwis (that is, people from New Zealand). We were all at the Opera House very early in the morning and we stood in line for about an hour and talked. The Californians were from north of Santa Barbara. The Kiwis were from Auckland. We all showed up at the performance wearing comfortable clothes and shoes, but after the first act, the usher found us all seats separately. We still met up during the intermissions (which they call intervals) to talk about the performance.
So… opera isn’t all it is cracked up to be. I think I might have enjoyed it more had the production been in English. . . but then I guess it wouldn’t be an opera. Let’s just say I would probably prefer the Elton John version of Aida over the Verdi version. But the production was really really cool. All the sets were lowered in from above the stage and most of them turned when the cast would push them. The singing was impressive. But it was still opera.
Today I went over to the Olympic complex. I saw the stadium where they had the opening and closing ceremonies. They still have the cauldron where the torch was. Except now it is a giant fountain with all the names of the Olympians who medaled in the games on gold, silver and bronze plaques.
Including former Lady Raider and native of Brownfield, Texas, Sheryl Swoopes.
It was very cool, but it was also very far away. It took about 45 minutes on the train to get there. Then when I got there, it was raining. So I stood under a little shed thing for about 30 minutes. The cauldron thing was the highlight. Everything else has changed in the last ten years. They changed most of the Olympic park to a wildlife and wetlands preserve that isn’t open to the public. (I am guessing those were for the sports like shooting and stuff… which could be easily converted.) I walked to the aquatic center, where it costs $5 to take a swim. (Which is pretty reasonable, I guess.)
I ate a kebab today. It wasn’t anything like the ones I ate in Oxford. The ones in Oxford were better. It has been raining a lot, but it is ok because I got a pass to use the busses, trains, and ferries. So I don’t have to walk everywhere. Hmm.. I guess that is it. Tomorrow I think I will either go to Manly or Bondi Beach (where I will not be surfing.)
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Opera and Olympics
Posted by Brent at 5:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment