BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Driving and FlashForward

I was sitting at the 9 O'Clock service at University Church, and someone said something that got me thinking. A story was told about how you start driving and you get home and realize that you don't remember anything from the drive. I was thinking about it. . . and I realized how often that happens to me. I will be driving along, and all of the sudden I will think something like: "Wow. I'm glad a little kid didn't run out in front of me or something. Because I am not sure I would have seen them." Was I even paying attention?
Then I started thinking about what it was like to start driving. How it was a really exciting thing that I needed to practice. I needed to really pay attention because I was driving a "lethal weapon" according to my mom. Just parking was an ordeal. Making a turn, slowing down, speeding up, stopping at a red light. Everything took my full attention.
It only took a few months before everything was second nature. I was devoting less attention to driving, but somehow I was a safer driver. I wish everything worked like that. Because I remember when Jesus was a big deal. An ordeal. How I focused my attention on Him. But now, I have become accustomed to being a Christian. I devote less attention to God, but it isn't because I have become a more competent Christian. It is because I have become a more comfortable Christian. Some things, like driving, get better the more comfortable you are. But Christianity isn't like that.
Comfortable might be a poor word choice. Because there is nothing more comfortable than leaning on the arms of the Father. Being comfortable is amazing, but that comfort doesn't come from a few months behind the wheel.
I don't know what I am getting at, honestly. This isn't a devo for someone to read for a sermon with a cute little ending. Just a thought that I wanted to put out there.

Now, to FlashForward: A few comments. . ..
very promising story. I really liked the premiere. I was a little annoyed at the blatant ABC cross-promotion. (See a billboard for Oceanic airlines by the freeway, a Desperate Housewives bus driving by. . .) And I was kind of taken aback to see Seth MacFarlane (the creator of Family Guy, along with the voices of Peter, Stewie, and Brian to name a few) as an FBI agent. I thought he had enough on his plate with Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show. It wasn't bad. . . just kind of distracting to hear Brian the Dog's voice coming from an FBI agent. (Macfarlane doesn't change his voice when he voices Brian. That is his natural voice.)
And who would have thought the creepiest thing about a world-wide blackout would be the guy that wasn't asleep? When you think about it, you picture all these bodies just laying around. . . but to be the one guy who was conscious? That would be too much.

Ok. That's all I got.

0 comments: