BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Emmy Predictions

All my posts since I started this up again have been. . . preachy. So now some fun:


Emmy Predictions!

Here are the categories that will appear on the telecast along with my choice winner and predicted winner. I haven't included all the nominees. Here's a link to all the information.

Variety and Reality Categories:
Outstanding Variety Series:
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (For the tenth year in a row. Yawn.)

Outstanding Reality - Competition Program
The Amazing Race (for the 8th time in the 9 years this has been a category)

Host for a Reality or Reality Competition Program
Cat Deeley - So You Think You Can Dance
With Jeff Probst not nominated for the first time, I think the award will probably go to the host that does the most work in his or her show. Cat Deeley wrangles contestants and judges like no one else.

Movie or Miniseries Categories:
I have actually watched most of this year's nominees, surprisingly. Even more surprising is that I think the performances I enjoyed the most will also win the categories, but tt might just be my ignorance in these categories talking.

Supporting Actor:
Will win and should win: Ed Harris, Game Change

Supporting Actress:
Will win and should win: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story

Writing:
Will win and should win: Danny Strong, Game Change

Directing:
Will win and should win: Kevin Reynolds, Hatfields and McCoys

Lead Actor:
Will win and should win: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia

Lead Actress:
Will win and should win: Julianne Moore, Game Change

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie:
Will win: Hatfields and McCoys
Should win: Game Change

Drama Series Categories:

Supporting Actor:
Will win: Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad
Should win: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
So many people love Breaking Bad. I don't get it. But I think this is the category that will get the trophy this year for the show.

Supporting Actress:
Will win: Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Should win: Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
Anyone who saw the episode, "The Other Woman," and doesn't give Hendrick an Emmy. . . is an idiot.

Writing:
Will win: Alex Gansa, Gideon Raff, & Howard Gordon, "Pilot" - Homeland
Should win: Semi Chellas & Matthew Weiner, "The Other Woman" - Mad Men

Directing:
Will win: Brian Percival, "Episode 7" - Downton Abbey
Should win: Phil Abraham, "The Other Woman" - Mad Men

Lead Actor:
Will win and should win: Jon Hamm, Mad Men
I am going out on a limb here. . . but I don't think Emmy will return to Bryan Cranston after a year off. The voters will finally give Jon Hamm the recognition he deserves for an amazing performance over the course of the last five years.

Lead Actress:
Will win and should win: Claire Danes, Homeland
This is the category I am far and away most confident about. Her performance as the bipolar CIA agent, Carrie Mathison, is the best acting on TV bar none.

Outstanding Drama Series:
Will win: Mad Men
Should win: Homeland
This might be the toughest category to predict of the night. Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Homeland, and Breaking Bad all have a serious chance at winning. And if the voting group is right, I would say Game of Thrones has a slight chance for the craziest upset ever. I still think Mad Men will pull it out and become the winningest drama series in Emmy history, tying for most awarded series overall (comedy or drama) with Frasier.

Comedy Series Categories:

Supporting Actor:
Will win and should win: Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
I think the Emmy voters will finally right the injustice that has been done to this TV icon.

Supporting Actress:
Will win: Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Should win: Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live

Writing:
Will win and should win: Lena Dunham, "Pilot" - Girls

Directing:
Will win: Robert B. Weide, "Palestinian Chicken" - Curb Your Enthusiasm
Should win: I genuinely have no clue who should win this category. None of the nominees seem like home runs.

Lead Actor:
Will win and should win: Louis C.K., Louie
All the hard work in writing, directing, and editing will pay off in the (very, very, very weak) lead actor category for Louis C.K.

Lead Actress:
Will win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Should win: Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Amy Poehler can't catch a break. She should have won last year AND the year before, but she keeps getting overlooked.

Outstanding Comedy Series:
Will win and should win: Modern Family
The show is simply the best comedy on TV right now. It hits all the right notes that voters usually look for in this category (heart, mass appeal) and it is hysterical. 


Overall, I think the theme of this year's Emmy awards will be, "Spread the Wealth." Even though the top prizes will go to the same shows, Mad Men and Modern Family, all the other awards will get spread out and become extremely inclusive. 

1 comments:

Megan said...

All I want is for Amy Poehler to win. Blergh.