BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Emmy Reactions

I was pleased overall with the Emmys this year. (The winners, that is. The writing and hosting was. . . pretty much terrible. Sorry Jimmy Fallon.) Let's go over the winners.

Best Actress, Drama
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
I was surprisingly OK with her win. She has been nominated in this category for so long without a win. It seemed like a foregone conclusion that Julianna Margulies would win (and that is what I predicted). Even though I have never and will never watch an episode of "The Closer" I am ok.

Best Actor, Drama
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad" (1 point for me!)
Like I said. . . his character is super complex. The writing deserves this award just as much as the actor.

Best Supporting Actress, Drama
Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife"
I haven't seen this show, yet. I am sure she is wonderful. I would have liked to see Elisabeth Moss win, though.

Best Supporting Actor, Drama
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad" (2 points!)
Emmy went back and corrected her mistake from last year.

Best Actor, Comedy
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"
Honestly, this category was a little weak. Alec Baldwin probably deserved it, but it does get a bit repetitive when you give an award to the same actor over and over. (See: Bryan Cranston, David Hyde Pierce . . .)

Best Actress, Comedy
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
I have to agree with Edie here. She isn't funny. Her winning this award is kind of mean. . . it is like the Dramadies have teamed up to oust the funny shows from the awards altogether.

Best Supporting Actor, Comedy
Eric Stonestreet, "Modern Family"
I listed that this was one of my wishes. I thought the academy would go back and give NPH a retroactive award. . . but nope. They settled for awarding him two Emmys last week (for "Glee" and hosting the Tonys). Eric Stonestreet deserved this award. Hopefully the writing on "Modern Family" continues to impress and Ty Burrell and Jesse Tyler Ferguson (and Ed O'Neill, Julie Bowen, and Sofia Vergara) all end up with a statue. Seriously.

Best Supporting Actress, Comedy
Jane Lynch, "Glee" (3 points!)
I had a Facebook status a year ago that said they should just go ahead and give her the trophy. Brilliant. I was a little disappointed with her speech. Could have been hilarious.

Best Comedy Series
"Modern Family" (4 points!)
It deserved it. And I am thrilled that it won. I hope it keeps bringing the funny and doesn't lose in the future to shows that really belong in the drama category ("Nurse Jackie" and the like!).

Best Drama Series
"Mad Men" (5 Points!)
It is a brilliant show. But I still think "Lost" was just better. I was really hoping for "Lost" to win, honestly. When the montage of drama for the year was showing, I teared up when they showed Jack laying down with Vincent. And the montage ended with Jack's eye closing. "Lost" really was the final word in drama this year.


So that means I got exactly half of the awards right. Honestly, I don't feel too bad about that. The Emmys are notoriously difficult to predict, especially in the supporting categories. The thing is: TV is on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That is a LOT of TV. And these people represent the best of the best. Pretty amazing.

Other notes: "Top Chef" beat "The Amazing Race"!!! What?! That was surprising.

0 comments: