BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Emmy Nominations Assessment

Just about every year I assess the Emmy nominations. I am still hoping that someday someone from Entertainment Weekly will run across my blog and offer me a job that includes a lot of watching and judging TV. Here, I break down the nominations I don't like versus the nominations I do like. Later on, I will probably post my predictions.

Disclaimer: I don't care about the made-for-tv-movie and mini-series categories. They are a waste of space in my opinion and only serve to balloon HBO's overall nomination count (101).

Nominations I Wish Didn't Happen:

Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester in "Glee" (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series) - I've got to be honest. . . I watch "Glee" and I enjoy it; however, Matthew Morrison is not very good. His story lines are overdone. His character isn't very well defined. And if I have to look at him do that stupid goofy grin while he watches the kids perform again. . . I'll probably stop telling people I watch "Glee." I'll still watch. . . but I won't admit it. Like "True Blood."

Kyra Sedgwick as Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson in "The Closer" (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series) - After all this time, I still haven't seen an episode of "Cable TV's most-watched drama." I don't even know anyone who has. Her presence is just kind of . . . expected. I think this show is going off the air soon, so thank goodness.

Jon Cryer as Alan Harper in "Two and A Half Men" (Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series) - The show is pretty much lowest common denominator. Face it: you can only make so many sex jokes before they all start to sound the same. Don't reward Jon Cryer for being the least sleazy guy on the most mediocre sitcom on television. This spot should have gone to Tracy Morgan or Jack McBrayer.

"The Office" (Outstanding Comedy Series) - The show has definitely stayed beyond its welcome. I will admit, I watched Jim and Pam's wedding. . . and it was very, very good. I am not sure what comedy series I would have put in here in its place. (Maybe "Parks and Recreation"?)

Nominations I am Excited About:

H. Jon Benjamin as Sterling Archer (Outstanding Voice-Over Performance) - I think "Archer" is hilarious. I wish it had been nominated in the Animated Program category instead of "South Park" or "The Simpsons" (both of which are past their prime. . . one by decades).

Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy in "30 Rock" (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series) - I know he has won twice in a row, now, but I honestly don't think there are any better actors/characters on TV. He may not nab a third Emmy. . . but in this case, the academy is finally sticking with a nominee that really deserves it.

Kyle Chandler as Eric Taylor in "Friday Night Lights" (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series) - I didn't get on board with "Friday Night Lights" until very recently. (Thank you, Netflix Instant View.) But now that I have seen the first half of the first season, I can understand what all the fuss is about. What I cannot understand is why this is Chandler's first nomination. The acting on "Friday Night Lights" is some of the best acting on television today.

Matthew Fox as Jack Shephard in "Lost" (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series) - In the past, Fox hasn't earned this nomination (and he hasn't been granted one, either). But this season, Fox was the cornerstone of the show. He held his own with Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson. Instead of being the reluctant, distant leader. . . Jack finally stepped up and became the father and leader we always wanted him to be. And he was just as good as we thought he would be. The final scene, in which he returns to the place where he first woke up on the island, was amazing. Good thing he submitted "The End" as his episode.

Lea Michele as Rachel Berry in "Glee" (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series) - I love Lea Michele as Rachel. I have loved her ever since she yelled, "There is nothing ironic about show choir!" in the pilot episode. She is the perfect blend of neurotic and pathetic.

Tina Fey as Liz Lemon in "30 Rock" (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series) - Neither Lea Michele nor Tina Fey has much of a chance to win (see: Toni Collette or Edie Falco), but that doesn't mean that I don't love Liz Lemon. Like Lea Michele, she blends neurotic and pathetic. . . but add intelligent and funny to the mix.

Connie Britton as Tami Taylor in "Friday Night Lights" (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series) - See above to understand my excitement. The Taylors are such a realistic married couple. They fight, but at the end of the day they love one another. It is refreshing to see a couple on TV that supports one another the way the Taylors do. . . instead of the more common bicker, fight, blow up, wonder-if-they-should-be-together drama. I've never doubted that the Taylors loved each other. And that is thanks, in large part, to Britton's portrayal of the wife who sometimes takes a back seat to football.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell / Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker / Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy / Julie Bowen as Claire Dunphy / Sofia Vergara as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett in "Modern Family" (Outstanding Supporting Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series) - Yes, the show is 5 acting nominations funny. The supporting actor race is tight. . . but both Stonestreet and Burrell have a shot at it, I think. Slight edge to Stonestreet, who is hilarious in the episode he submitted: "Fizbo." Neither of the women really have much of a chance against "Glee" and Jane Lynch. I am glad, however, to see that Emmy has decided to recognize actors who don't play the over-the-top ridiculous characters. Bowen and Ferguson both play rather straight-laced, uptight characters. . . but they don't go too far with it. Emmy loved David Hyde Pierce for taking it too far, but hated Courtney Cox for being more realistic. Bowen and Ferguson lean toward the Courtney Cox school of very, very real and very, very funny.

Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet Burke in "Lost" (Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series) - I think Mitchell's previous work on "Lost" was amazing. She should have gotten some Emmy love for that. Honestly, with the depth of her character background, she has a shot at taking home the trophy. Her scene at the vending machine with Josh Holloway (Sawyer) was a high point in the finale.

"Modern Family" (Outstanding Comedy Series) - It is the funniest show on TV. It is as smart as "30 Rock" and it has the heart of "How I Met Your Mother." The cast is amazing. I think it will win.

"Glee" (Outstanding Comedy Series) - "Glee" got more nominations than any other show. (Forget about those mini-series.) Although I do not think it really deserves all of them. . . it is definitely one of the best comedy series out there. It walks a fine line between comedy and melodrama. . . sometimes erring a little toward melodrama. But it has done something no other show has ever been able to do: a musical television show that people actually want to watch. That's worth something.

"Lost" (Outstanding Drama Series) - It was an amazing ending to an amazing show. I honestly hope the voters agree and give "
Lost" another statue. I doubt it will happen. . . but I can dream. "Lost" was a dazzling display of fearless storytelling. That is what TV should be. Stop worrying about all the ratings and money. . . and tell a damn good story.

Snubs I am Upset About:

No "Friday Night Lights" for Outstanding Drama Series - This show is better than "True Blood" at the very least. Trust me. I watch both (Don't tell anyone.)

In that vein, Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica Hamby in "True Blood" didn't get a nomination for Supporting Actress, which was disappointing. She is very, very funny and sad as the new vampire dealing with her own death. The scene in which she realized that since she was a virgin when she died, she would . . . heal after every sexual encounter and be a virgin forever. . . that was priceless.

Ed O'Neil from "Modern Family" deserved a nomination. Forgive him for "Married. . . with Children."

Courtney Cox in "Cougar Town" can't get any love, either. She was the best thing about "Friends" and she never got nominated. What a shame. Maybe if her show didn't have such a stupid name. . .

Other Notable Things That I Don't Want to Write an Entire Paragraph About

"Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List" was nominated for Reality.

"Wizards of Waverly Place" (a favorite of mine) nabbed two nominations for Children's Programming

Betty White was nominated for Guest Actress for hosting SNL.

"The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" was nominated. . . "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" was not. (Not that it matters. "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" will win again.)

0 comments: